A laryngeal spasm results in an inability to speak or breathe. Although alarming, it is a rare occurrence that is not life-threatening.
Treatment: A Blend of Medication and Lifestyle Changes
Preventing additional laryngeal spasms will involve treating the underlying cause of your symptoms.
In most cases, this will involve a combination of the following:
- Prescription-strength proton pump inhibitors to reduce the production of stomach acids
- Avoiding heartburn triggers, such as caffeine, fatty foods and chocolate
- Eating smaller and more frequent meals
- Raising the head of your bed
- Avoiding smoke and alcohol
- Avoiding allergens