Ear tubes are tiny cylinders often made out of plastic or metal that are inserted into the eardrum. When an ear tube is inserted, it creates an airway to help prevent a build-up of fluid in the middle ear. Ear tubes can be used to help treat middle ear infections, inflammation, or excess fluid.
Benefits of Ear Tubes
- Instant relief from fluid buildup
- Can help end repeated ear infections or inflammation of the middle ear
- Can help children who have hearing loss or developmental delays in language or learning as a result of fluid buildup
- The procedure can often be performed in 30 minutes or less
- The procedure does not require follow-up visits for removal
- The tubes fall out on their own and heal naturally